Wednesday, June 07, 2006

TIME TO BE PATIENT.

The only word I can think of to describe today's MAF run is 'unsatisfying'.

Perhaps the best part of the run is that I actually got out of the door. Running at a heart rate of 135 BPM has its benefits (as I've described in earlier posts) but it also can just be a drag.

My first mile every morning has to be run at a ridiculously slow pace and because of the two big hills leading toward Cumming Highway, I find my self walking for most of the distance. Things get a little better in miles 2-4 but fighting the urge to run faster is bothersome.

However, the process is good in that it forces me to be on a plan and to strictly monitor my heart rate for each run. I hope that this build up in my aerobic base will benefit my speed later.

(Although secretly, I fear it will have no effect on my speed). Anyway, I have to be patient and wait for the desired results.

Wow. As I write this, there are only 10 minutes before the results for the NYC marathon lottery are posted. I wont get my hopes up. Apparently on 23,000 out of 90,000 applications will be accepted. If I'm not accepted, I'll start to plan for another marathon in November or December.

After all, November 5th is too soon, isn't it?

(If you think that that sounded like a lame attempt to try to convince myself that I don't want to run the NYC marathon.... You are absolutely correct.)

We'll see.

1 comment:

Dave Wakeman's Blog said...

You know you are going to run the marathon and finish it....

It's tough, but I know that it is going to be worth it.

Lucky for all of us that we found Team For Kids and we won't have to run and train without the support of others.

And you are going to get faster, a lot faster...