Friday, June 02, 2006

My Maffetone Experiment: Day Number 2

Today was my second day running using the Maffetone Method which puts an emphasis on aerobic training at low heart rates to increase endurance.

Yesterday's run (6/1/06) was 6.5 miles at an average pace of 14 min 55 sec. My average heart rate was 131 which is below my suggested MAF heart rate of 135 BPM. Total running time was 1 hour 37 min and I burned 781 calories according to my HRM.

Today's run (6/2/06) was 6.1 miles at an average pace of 14 min 53 sec. Average heart rate was 131 BPM. Total running time was 1 hour 32 min. Burned 814 calories. (Not sure I know how I can burn more calories during a shorter run? Perhaps due to less walking today?)

So much for the numbers.

Here are my observations at 4 hours following this run.
  • Minimal soreness, no ankle pain and no knee pain (whatsoever). This is uncommon after a 5+ mile run early in the morning. Too soon to say if it is just a fluke or related to the nature of the MAF training.
  • Lots of pep in my step today.
  • I had a little more trouble maintaining my heart rate under 135 BPM this morning. What I've been doing is slowing down my pace when the HRM says my HR is between 136 and 139 and walking if my HR goes over140 until it gets down to 130 before starting to run again. I'm sure the graph of my heartrate will look like the teeth of a saw after today's run.

Just heard about a website with podcasts regarding endurance training. It is EnduranceRadio.com and they have an interview with Jesse Leitner on today's podcast. I will definitely check that out.

Just started reading Dr. Maffetone's book (Training for Endurance) last night seems very interesting. So far I like his iconoclastic way of looking at training. I will also be ordering his other book (Eating for Endurance).

No comments: