Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Sore and Anxious

I'm sore today.

When I started my low heart rate training, I was amazed at how I could run so much longer (albeit much slower) and not feel any worse for the wear. Okay, so it was only four days of Maffetone-style running over a 5 day period of time but the sheer mileage (at least for me) without residual effects were stunning:
  • June 1, 2006: 6.5 miles
  • June 2, 2006: 6.2 miles
  • June 3, 2006: Rest day
  • June 4, 2006: 14 miles (!)
  • June 5, 2006: 6.5 miles

So maybe I overdid it with the 14 miles on Sunday or coming off my longest weekend run and tying my longest weekday run (back to back) was not wise.

I guess another way to look at this is that I am working out slow twitch muscles that I have previously not worked out with my previous (faster) workouts and the soreness represents progress in terms of recruiting muscles for aerobic activity that were previously not being utilized. At least (based on my reading) I think that is how Dr. Maffetone would look at this situation.

I overslept this morning and could not do my AM run on 6/6/06.

The question is whether or not I should go for a MAF run tonight after work? Decisions, decisions.

With regard to anxiety, tomorrow is the day that the New York City Marathon announces the people selected in the lottery. I did not tell anyone that I would like to run in the 2006 NYC marathon when I signed up a few weeks ago. I guess if I am not selected it would have been good not to let anyone else know. However; if I am selected, I would really need to become very serious about training.

In a way, I'm almost hoping that I am not selected so that I can continue to build my base and look to another marathon at a later date.

But, on the other hand, if I am selected I see no way (short of a terrible training injury) that I would pass up the opportunity.

Hence the anxiety.

No comments: