Sunday, June 05, 2005

My Running Library



Posted by Hello

Okay... So perhaps I should stop buying new books. This is a picture of the books that I have utilized in my preparations for the marathon. My reading style is to hop around from book to book (see my previous post on multitasking ).

The books are as follows:


  • The Lore of Running by Tim Noakes, M.D. - This is the mother of all running books. It contains very detailed information about training and issues. The level of complexity in some of the physiological topics is similar to some of my medical text books. It is NOT light reading.
  • The Runners Handbook by Bob Glover - A classic book on running. Haven't had a chance to really look into this too much. I was attracted by the fact that it starts at ground zero in terms of training from essentially no base to marathon running.
  • How to Train For and Run Your Best Marathon by Gordon Bloch - I bought this book several years ago. It is written by a woman who began as a recreational runner and eventually ran in the Olympic trials. Very inspirational.
  • The Runner's High by Garth Battista - Picked this up at Barnes and Noble to read during times when I felt like giving up on my marathon training. Haven't read any of it yet, which I guess is good news.
  • The Body Sculpting Bible For Abs - Mens Edition - I hate abdominal exercises but I realize that working on your core musculature is important for any endurance exercise or activity. I actually bought this book during my weight training period last year. I intend to use some of the exercises to build my abdominal muscles.
  • The Abs Diet - Another throwback to my weight training days. As with the Body Sculpting Bible I plan to use the exercises but will pass on the high protein diet suggestions.
  • First Marathons by Gail Waesche Kislevitz - very inspirational book about people who ran marathons and how they did it.
  • Train Hard, Win Easy The Kenyon Way - This book details the training techniques of elite East African runners. These guys are nuts. Reading this book makes me know that I CANNOT do what those guys do. Amazing.
  • New York Road Runners Club Complete Book of Running - This is one of the oldest books in my library. Very good information.

2 comments:

Brendan said...

Before you give up completely on running books, do yourself a favor and find a copy of _Running and Being_ by George Sheehan. I can't find it new, and I'm looking for a used copy now.

Unknown said...

Brendan:

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it.

Onyeije