Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Pushing the Envelope

MY thoughts today have been about what it means to really push the envelope and to move from your comfort zone into new territory. It goes without saying that anything worthwhile requires effort, concentration and hard work to achieve. This is true with regard to personal affairs, marriage, parenthood, professional pursuits and (of course) training for a marathon.

I am reading (or browsing through) a number of books on the marathon. My most recent purchase is Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas. It appears to be an excellent book with a strong foundation in exercise physiology. From what I have read, it is similar to a slimmer version of The Lore of Running.

Today's run was hard but still enjoyable. Did 5.8 miles with the last 1.5 miles on the (very hilly) golf course here in the subdivision. Wow, I certainly have neglected working on hills and it showed today, as I had to walk on many of the more steep hills at the end of my workout.

I still need an organized program to follow before the marathon. I have time, but time is running out. I will probably invest in a coach sometime after vacation next week, also.

No comments: