Sunday, June 12, 2005

Observations from Today's "Long" Run

After a forced 4 day layoff due to my cold that I developed after last weeks long run of 10 miles I decided to go on a 7 mile long run this morning. My goal was just to maintain a pace that was faster than my last long runs and to see if I hit the wall at 4 miles like in previous long runs.

Here are my observations:

  1. The weather was very humid and rainy. The rain was constant and varied from a light drizzle to an outright downpour.
  2. My beginning pace was very quick. I think I was over anxious to get back on the road, and as a result I actually had to purposely slow myself down during my first half mile.
  3. Did my usual walk up the last part of the steep hill at 0.75 miles. This was a harbinger of things to come.
  4. Had very slight left ankle pain which was improved due to stretching prior to the run. No knee pain at all.
  5. My pace for miles 2 and 3 was excellent and perhaps faster than I needed to go. My form was fluid and virtually effortless. Incidentally, on this particular run miles 2 and 3 are mostly downhill.
  6. Once again, hit a wall on the fourth mile. Luckily, my attitude during this slow-down was much better than previous runs and so I just ran/walked at a pace to regain my energy.
  7. My speed, form, and endurance on hills is TERRIBLE. I hate hills and I think that my dislike (even fear) for hills makes them even harder. I clearly need to work on hills. Perhaps by timing my first 2-3 miles of a run to coincide with some challenging hills.
  8. The rain really weighs down my long running tights. Big mistake (I think) to run in the rain with tights.

I am trying to make sure I stay well hydrated today and see if I can circumvent the sore throat I experienced 24 hours my last two long runs.

Plans for tomorrow: 45 minutes of stationery bike or a slow 4 miles on the roads. Will decide based on how I feel in the morning.

Gotta try and ice my ankle today.

No comments: